Vanilla Cranberry Shortbread
Author: Carrie Brown | www.carriebrown.com
- 8 oz unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 oz xylitol
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 15 oz almond flour / ground almonds
- 2 tsps xanthan gum
- 4 oz dried unsweetened cranberries, finely chopped
- Mix butter, xylitol, vanilla and salt together with a hand mixer until well creamed.
- Mix in almond flour, xanthan gum and chopped cranberries until a dough is formed.
- Turn dough onto surface, using dusting of almond flour to prevent sticking if necessary.
- Roll dough to 1/2 inch thick, and use a cutter to cut out shapes.
- Place on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 300F for around 20 minutes, just until they start to turn very pale brown.
- Remove from oven and leave on baking sheets until cool. Do not try to move them!
- Step away from the shortbread!
- Once cool, using a spatula, carefully transfer to a wire rack to get completely cold.
- I highly recommend leaving them overnight if you can possibly stand it. They firm up and have a better texture.
- Store in airtight container.
This shortbread dough can be made in advance, stored in the 'fridge and baked as required. Allow the dough to come to room temperature before rolling, cutting and baking.
Recipe by Carrie Brown | Marmalade and Mileposts at http://www.marmaladeandmileposts.com/archives/23475