Cranberry Almond Protein Bars
Author: Carrie Brown | www.carriebrown.com
- ½ cup / 4 fl oz. almond butter, creamy unsalted
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- ⅓ cup / 3 fl oz. COLD water
- 11 oz. / 310g vanilla whey protein powder
- 1 TBSP chia seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp guar gum
- 1½ oz. / 40g flaked almonds
- 2 oz. / 55g dried cranberries, finely chopped
- In a bowl, using a hand mixer or blender, mix the almond butter, almond extract and cold water together until completely mixed. This takes several minutes.
- In another bowl, add the whey powder, salt, guar gum, and chia seeds and mix well.
- Crush the flaked almonds in your hands and add them to the dry ingredients.
- Add the finely chopped dried cranberries and rub them through the dry ingredients with your fingers to separate them.
- Add the dry ingredients to the almond butter mixture and stir until it has formed a dry dough.
- Turn the dough on to a surface and knead the last of the dry ingredients in until you have a smooth, shiny dough. It will be slightly sticky.
- Wrap the dough in plastic and leave to rest for an hour.
- Roll the dough out to ¼ inch thick and cut into bars.
- You will need to use a sharp knife to slide under each bar to get them off the surface you rolled them out on.
- Carefully move each bar to a flat plate or board.
- Leave the bars to dry for 12 hours. Every 30 minutes or so, using a sharp knife to pick them up, turn each bar over. This helps the bars to dry evenly.
- After 12 hours the bars will have firmed up considerably and formed a 'crust', making them easy to pick up with your fingers.
- Wrap each bar in parchment paper or store in an air-tight container with parchment paper between the layers.
Recipe by Carrie Brown | Life in the Sane Lane at http://marmaladeandmileposts.com/archives/24202